How To: Convert a QuickBooks Online File to Desktop Version
In order to convert a file from QuickBooks Online to a desktop version of QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, or QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions you must be logged in to QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop and opened throughout the process.
- Open the version of QuickBooks desktop that you will be using to convert your QuickBooks Online Edition company file. Do not open a company file.
- Start the QuickBooks Online Edition export interview:
- Go to QuickBooks Online and log in to your company file.
- Select the Company tab, then under More, select Export Your Data.
- Select an option to export Lists or Lists & Transactions, and then click Next.
- Read the information in the Exporting Lists window. Click the print the entire list of details link, and read and retain the document.
- Click Next.
- Read the information on your screen about how to export lists, and then click the Export.
- In the "Create New QuickBooks File" window, select a location and enter a file name for the new company file.
- Click Save. QuickBooks Online Edition should start converting your data, there should be a display on the progress.
- When the conversion is complete, read the information in the Final Steps window, and then click Finished.
- Lists & Transactions:
- Use the drop-down arrow to select the version of QuickBooks into which you will import your online company file, and then click Next.
- Read the special conditions information, and then select each check box to indicate that you have read and understand the information.
- Click the print the entire list of details link, read and retain the document, and then click Next.
- Read the information in the Get ready to prepare your data window. Verify or update your name and email address information, and then click Prepare Data.
- Read the information about your data file being prepared, and then click OK.
- When you receive e-mail notification that your data is ready to download, click the Download the company file created on MM/DD/YYYY link in the Things To Do section of your company home page.
- In the Download Prepared Data window, select I'm moving my data to QuickBooks desktop edition, and I'm canceling my QuickBooks Online subscription, and then click Next.
Note: This step will not cancel your QuickBooks Online Edition subscription.
- Read the information in the How long will this take? window, and then click Next.
- Click the Download button, select a location for your exported company file data, and then Save.
- Read the information in the Convert the data to QuickBooks desktop edition window, verify that QuickBooks (desktop edition) is running but do not open a company, and then click Convert. Note: you may receive a prompt to accept a Digital Certificate. Click Allow to accept the Certificate.
- In the Create New QuickBooks File window, select a location and enter a file name for your new company file, and then click Save. QuickBooks Online Edition begins converting your data and displays a progress bar on the screen.
- When the conversion is complete, read the information in the Final Steps window, and then Finished.
- Switch to your QuickBooks desktop version, and open the file you saved:
- Select the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file, and then click Next.
- Browse to the location where you created the company file, select it, and then click Open.
You can read more at http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/