Managing your Business Finances like a Pro: Getting Started
Begin managing your finances using QuickBooks with these simple steps and quick tips.
- Consult with your accountant and discuss the use of QuickBooks
- Buy and Install QuickBooks pro (You can buy through us here)
- Structure your various accounts- Start with the minimum number of accounts, then expand.
- Establish an accounting routine that works for you and stick to it.
- Work with your accountant and keep in close contact all year round.
Good Accounting Habits
- Record Transactions regularly. Including but not limited to:
- Buying/Expense: bills, checks, credit, paying employees, contractors
- Selling/Income: estimates, invoices, sales
- Credit Card Transactions
- Reconcile accounts monthy
- Update financial statements quarterly
- Be as accurate and Consistant as possible
- Fix mistakes as they happen (They are fixable!)
Set Up Your Budget
It is simple to set up your company’s budget in QuickBooks. The program allows you to create one budget per fiscal year for each account, customer or job, and class combination. More than one budget can be created if they are for separate categories.
How to Start: From the Company menu in QuickBooks, choose Planning and Budgeting, then Set up Budgets.
Customize your QuickBooks
How to start: From the edit menu, choose “My Preferences” for personal usage then “Company Preferences” for changes applicable to all users.
“My Preferences” changes the look, feel, and behavior of your personal usage of QuickBooks. You can customize everything from the color to the usage of spell check.
“Company Preferences” changes the look, feel and behavior of users throughout the company. You can set the default ehaviors to warn you if a duplicate invoice number is being used, see cash or accrual basis regarding graphs, and much more.
Explore your options to see what is right for you and your company.
Now you are ready to go! If you need QuickBooks support you can call us at 775-348-9225.
Visit our website!
Visit our Twitter!