Converting One Write Plus or Peachtree to QuickBooks®














Hi, I’m Jayne Miller, the QuickBooks Gal. Welcome to another in our series of “Quicklets” –informational podcasts about QuickBooks and related bookkeeping topics.



Today, I’m going to talk about Converting One Write Plus and Peachtree to QuickBooks®.

I received a call a couple of weeks ago from a client who wanted to convert from an older accounting system of ledger sheets to QuickBooks. I obtained some information and determined that it would be best to have her come to our office where we could supervise her data entry from the ledgers into her new QuickBooks file that we would help her to create. She had an old 60 MHz computer and had not been exposed to any Windows® programs, so her learning curve could be large.

Later, I spoke with her son who informed me that she was using One Write Plus. She had a lot of data and her customer/vendor lists were pretty big…in other words, there would be a lot of data entry. It occurred to me that we could convert her data from OWP to Peachtree and then use the QuickBooks Conversion Tool to convert the newly created Peachtree file to QuickBooks.

The one thing I hadn’t counted on was the fact that she was using One Write Plus in DOS! That wasn’t a problem. We simply installed my version of OWP – Windows - on her computer, and then converted the DOS version to the Windows version. That went well. Then we backed up the data and restored it to one of my computers that had OWP v8 and Peachtree 2006 on it. Then, we converted OWP file to Peachtree using the internal converter tool in Peachtree.

Once that was done, we used the QuickBooks Conversion Tool to convert our new Peachtree 2006 file to QuickBooks 2006. This operation went very smoothly. Since the client could only purchase QuickBooks 2007, we then created her company once again in QB 2007 and upgraded the data file. At that point, we were able to give the client a back of her file in QuickBooks 2007 that she was able to take back to her office and restore on her new computer in her new QuickBooks 2007 program.

QuickBooks’ Conversion Tool really did the trick! If you need more information about the QuickBooks conversion tool, go to:

This site.

I stopped supporting One Write Plus in 1998 and haven’t used One Write Plus or Peachtree DOS versions in at least 10 or 11 years. I have to say that I was very pleased with the ease of transition from DOS to OWP Windows to Peachtree and then to QuickBooks. I don’t know if it matters, but I think that keeping Peachtree and QuickBooks versions compatible, in other words – using version 2006 of each software - makes a real difference when converting from Peachtree to QuickBooks…Intuit’s tech folks can probably tell you if that is important. One other note: I used the Accountant’s Edition of both Peachtree and QuickBooks.

If you have One Write Plus or Peachtree questions, drop me a line at jayne@quickbooksgal.com and I’ll try to answer them.

Got a QuickBooks Mess? Call The QuickBooks Gal!




Are you backing up your data?



Well, that’s it for now. I appreciate your time and hope you will join us again next time for another in our Quicklet© series. If there are topics you would like me to cover, send me an email at jayne@quickbooksgal.com. I welcome your ideas, questions, and comments.

Don’t forget to visit our website, www.quickbooksgal.com to learn more about me, the services we offer and our workshops.

I’m Jayne Miller, The QuickBooks Gal. Thanks for listening.






Jayne Miller is the owner of Custom Business Solutions, a consulting firm in Reno, Nevada that specializes in providing bookkeeping and software support.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Un" Apply Credits In QuickBooks

QuickBooks Password Protection

Employee Salary/Wage Rate Report